Shawn Thornton

My photo
Westlake Village, California

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Single Mom & Son: Celebrating a Break Thru!

Below is an email sent to me and those who coordinated our Serve Weekend efforts from a single mom who was so grateful for how God used Serve Day in her own life and in the life of her 10-year-old son. She gave me permission to share it with you. Please take the time to read it and celebrate with her!


Dear Pastor:
I am a single mom who has been through a period of extreme challenge in the past year and a half. The season of pain that has engulfed our lives has left my son changed and has found our faith waning in comparison to our past years. It has been a struggle as we continued to look up and try to turn to Christ for hope and strength. As life has begun to calm, we have tried to find joy in our daily, earthly steps. When Serve Day was presented, I knew it was a way to step outside of ourselves and turn to others in His name.

Sunday my son woke up and asked if there was another day that we could help others for God or if we could only do it once a year. Wow. Not only did my 10-year-old feel good about helping others and feel closer to God, he also felt a sense of pride and purpose that had been missing for him this past year. What a huge step for us, as a family, to heal and move forward.

As a mom, as a believer, as a follower, as someone who has been broken and made whole by God's grace, I can't thank you all enough for your gift that you provided last weekend. Your servant's hearts touched many in ways that you will never know.

Many blessings to you each,
A Grateful Mom

No comments: