Shawn Thornton

My photo
Westlake Village, California

Monday, June 1, 2009

A Tribute to a Man I Never Met - Webb Davis

While I never met Webb Davis, I have heard many things about this young man who stepped into the presence of His Lord and Savior two weeks ago. His father and mother, Joe and Carolyn, are friends of mine and members of Calvary Community Church. Joe serves with me on the Elder Board. We have been praying for the entire Davis family since Webb collapsed, slipped into a coma, and then moved on to glory.

My connection to the Davis family goes back to my years of ministry and my educational training in West Virginia. Joe's dad and Webb's grandfather, Maynard, was one of the first Elders of Bible Center Church in Charleston and was one of the early voices of influence alongside a man named Lester Pipkin as he founded Appalachian Bible College. The Davis family had an impact and voice into my life long before I met any of them. And, actually, Maynard (who was instrumental early on at both the college I attended and the church I pastored) was with Jesus before I was born. This has given me a special connection to Joe, Carolyn and their family since coming to California and having the privilege of serving as their pastor.

I continue to pray for the Davis family - especially for Webb's wife Monica and his little 20 month old daughter, Hope. One of the warmest tributes I have ever heard was given by Joni Eareckson Tada via video at Webb's memorial service. She convinces me that the life of this young man, whom I never met, will have a lasting and powerful impact on others!


No comments: